Post by Ghost in Training on Oct 1, 2019 7:07:03 GMT
This is really cool! I also want to thank you all for still being part of the Ghost Master community! I have been following this site for years and it's really cool to see people are still into the game.
I think Cogjammer should be higher up; Luckstorm followed by Blackout is effectively Surge but with indiscriminate targeting and a belief bonus. This is particularly true in populated areas with many tiny rooms like Full Mortal Jacket--there are many light switches, and mortals can repeatedly touch them for multiple terror boosts per unlucky mortal. His ability to be able to use Fool's Errand and Wild Geese is a major help in missions when a mortal needs to go somewhere specific or you don't want mortals fixing devices in the final levels. Wild & Crazy causes malfunctions so even without Surge he can do things like free Electrospasm and destroy the bomb in the final level. He's fantastic from the first level to the last. I noticed cold temperatures reduce the terror and madness required to defeat mortals in the area so Windwalker is potentially better than he seems when used in conjunction with Soulscreech to help with his madness-oriented skill set. I'm not sure why Firetail and Sparkle are 3 tiers apart, they don't seem so different in quality when fully maxed out.
Otherwise most D tier ghosts here are great for weather building with partners but lame solo otherwise so I mostly agree. Noise-based madness powers and stench powers typically don't perform well so I agree with those generally being lower.
Oh wow, thank you for making this. Here's mine (assuming AllGhosts is installed, so no time gate):
- Buck has the best fetters in the game, is in the group with the lowest plasm cost and an insanely strong power pool (Flower Power, Creepers, Chase and the rest is good too). Easy #1. Clatterclaws and Scarecrows have worse fetters and slightly worse powers. - Gremlins have very low plasm cost, electric is a great fetter and Surge is maybe the best aoe scare in the game. Lucky misses out, Luckstorm isn't great. - Blair Wisp gets good powers but max level 5 on an outside fetter doesn't get you far.
- Half of Boo's powers are nothing to write home about but Fool's Errand, Rattling Chains and Telekinesis combined with a great fetter make him one of the most versatile ghosts in the game and great at leading mortals where you want them. - Wendel and Quiver unfortunately get none of that, they bring subpar scare potential and almost no utility to the table. Quiver has a very wonky and discoherent power set-up - which is very fun in principle but he'd need more powers to be effective at scaring people. Also Insane Invitation, just why? - Fetches get a rather uncommon fetter but mirrors are often in important chocke-points and their powers are very strong. Also the Gifts open up for entirely new strategies. - Manes get amazing powers but are stuck with possibly the worst fetter in the game. In most levels a gift is your only option and even then you could get ghosts that do the same job and actually have decent fetters. They definitely have potential but mostly they're just way too unreliable. If Posess gave you more options to controll what they do they'd be a lot better. Because of their high potential I find them a bit hard to place. Maybe you could make them work but I doubt they'd ever be amazing. - Poltergeists suffer the same issue but children is probably a slightly better fetter than corpse. Whirlweird just adds insult to injury by also relying on objects in the room on top of already beign sketchy as is. Should probably be D-tier. Hardboiled at least works wherever you are. - Sandmen are a bit hard to rank. They have their uses throughout the game but usually it's very specific. You need them if you want to pull the gold plasm farming trick.
- Air elementals are hot garbage. They can't scare people, they can't drive them mad. they don't even get as much control over weather as Weatherwitch and Stormtalon even though they have the same plasm cost. Outside of Freeing Terroreyes and Stormtalon why would you ever bother? - Fire Elementals are slightly worse Gremlins. They cost much more in upkeep and get the extra Fire fetter which is not common, their powers are roughly on par with Gremlins. - Water Elementals get good powers and a good fetter and they can be a useful chain in manipulating weather. Wavemaster can learn Seeping Blood, definitely worth pointing out. - Earth Elementals get Flower Power, Creepers, Slow and usually get fetters at important chocke points (on top of being able to be almost anywhere outside). They always end up being instrumental in helping me finish people that run in and out. They're just all-around amazing.
-Apparitions are some of the great attractors in the game. Murder is not a good fetter but with a gift at the right place they can be instrumental in luring people to your massive scare chamber (and they also have a trick of their sleave). Unfortunately Terroreyes is worst by default because Icy Touch is extremely inconsistent. - Banshees combine one of the best fetters in the game with level 9 powers and decent plasm costs. Moonscream and Soulscreech excell at scarring people off. Weatherwitch is great for controlling weather, Brigit is good at inducing madness - which unfortunately is not as effective as scaring people off. -Stormtalon is a really good hybrid between controlling weather and electricity. -Windwalker is by far the best madness ghost in the game. Unfortunately turning people mad is usually not a great strategy. Frostbite can be used to make people go inside I believe.
- Phantoms get a decent fetter, high plasm costs and fairly strong powers. A goody heavy hitter for any team. - Tricksters face the same inconsistency issues as many disturbances but they also provide utility and have an interesting fetter combination on top of being able to shapeshift (they can actually be used to free Raindancer this way). - Black Crow is the answer to what happens if you take a Mane and give him a decent fetter. The catch is that the plasm cost is much higher. He sounds amazing on paper but I find that in practice he's generally outclassed by earth elementals. Still a decent pickup for any team and 10 power slots make him very versatile. - Thorne gets very strong powers simply. - Darkling is really meh. Murder fetter is still not good and unless you're building on madness Blue Murder just does a better job at what Darkling could do at lower plasm cost. Even if you rely on madness, he wouldn't fit in well with most madness teams because most of the relevant ghosts have mobile fetters.
- Violence is not a great fetter but when you get a power pool like Ghastly you can scare entire rooms full of people and live up to the plasm cost. Knuckles and Carter can't unfortunately. - Headless Horsemen are probably the best at finishing people off. The only thing keeping them from S-tier is that in most levels they don't do much more and are outclassed by e.g. Moonscream. - Wraiths are like Gremlins with a minor power spike and much higher plasm costs. The reason they still get rather decent placements is because usually plasm is not your bottle-neck.
Small final note: Some powers seem a bit gimped and only work under specific conditions. For example Hide and Seek only works if mortals stay in one room, whereas e.g. Brief Scare or Chase will always work. Frozen Stiff and Burried Alive will only work when mortals are calm. Great Balls or Fire or Surge will always work. I took instances like this very much into consideration.